- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 6 tablespoons chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 7 tablespoons (about) ice water
- 4 cups fresh blueberries (about 23 ounces)
- 1/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Blend first 4 in processor. Add shortening and butter. Using on/off turns, process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Mix in enough ice water by tablespoonfuls to form moist clumps. Gather dough together; divide into 2 pieces, 1 slightly larger than the other. Flatten into disks; wrap each in plastic and chill 1 hour. DO AHEAD Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Keep chilled. Let soften slightly at room temperature before rolling out.
Place baking sheet on bottom of oven and position rack in center; preheat to 375°F. Combine blueberries, syrup, flour, tapioca and juice in bowl; toss to blend. Let stand 15 minutes.
Roll out larger dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter glass pie dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 12-inch round. Arrange over filling. Seal crusts at edge of dish. Trim overhang to 3/4 inch; fold under and crimp edge decoratively. Using small knife, cut several slits in top crust.
Bake pie until juices bubble thickly and crust is golden, about 1 hour. Cool pie on rack. Serve at room temperature.