Nutritionists love red quinoa for its low glycemic index; we love how this recipe reinforces the idea that healthy food should pack a lot of flavor. Fresh herbs, plus crunchy nuts, keeps things interesting.
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, preferably red, rinsed well in a fine-mesh sieve
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup unsalted, shelled raw pistachios, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add shallot, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add quinoa and cook, stirring frequently, until quinoa starts to toast and smell nutty, about 5 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Stir in quinoa, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer gently until quinoa is tender, 25-30 minutes (15 if using white quinoa). Remove pan from heat, fluff quinoa with a fork. Cover; let stand for 5 minutes.
Fold pistachios, parsley, and mint into quinoa. Season with salt and pepper.