This knobby vegetable has no relation to the artichoke—it’s the tuber of a type of sunflower. Look for small, evenly sized ones so they’ll cook at the same rate and pair with salsa verde.
- 3 pounds Jerusalem artichokes (also called sunchokes), unpeeled, cut into 1½” pieces
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 anchovy fillets packed in oil, drained, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons drained capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Preheat oven to 450°. Toss Jerusalem artichokes with ¼ cup oil on a baking sheet; season with salt and pepper. Roast, tossing halfway through, until soft, 25–30 minutes.
Mix anchovies, garlic, parsley, capers, vinegar, red pepper flakes, and remaining ¼ cup oil in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper. Serve with Jerusalem artichokes.