- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes in juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 8-ounce bottle clam juice
- 8 ounces fingerling potatoes or baby Yukon Gold potatoes, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 1 pound peeled deveined uncooked medium American shrimp
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until very tender and beginning to brown, stirring often, about 18 minutes. Add garlic and paprika; stir 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes with juice and cook until very thick, stirring frequently, about 30 minutes. Stir in rosemary and crushed red pepper. Add wine and cook until liquid evaporates completely, stirring often, about 10 minutes. Stir in clam juice, then 3 cups water. DO AHEAD Broth can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, then cover and chill.
Bring broth to boil. Add potatoes; simmer until almost tender, about 5 minutes. Add shrimp; simmer until just cooked through, about 5 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.