- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder, or 4 whole star anise, ground
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (such as Asian)
- 2 10-to-12-ounce rib-eye steaks
- 4 large shiitake mushrooms, stemmed
- 2 baby bok choy, quartered lengthwise
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Mix mirin, Chinese five-spice powder, hoisin sauce, toasted sesame seeds, vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil in small saucepan; bring to boil. Cool. Place steaks, mushrooms, and bok choy on baking sheet. Pour half of sauce over; turn to coat. Reserve remaining sauce in same saucepan. Sprinkle steaks evenly with salt and pepper.
Grill steaks, mushrooms, and bok choy until meat is medium-rare and vegetables are partially charred, turning occasionally, about 10 minutes for steaks, 8 minutes for mushrooms, and 5 minutes for bok choy. Slice steaks; divide between 2 plates with mushrooms and bok choy. Bring remaining sauce to simmer; drizzle sauce over steak slices, mushrooms, and bok choy and serve.