Hot tip: Super-fresh eggs are going to be harder to peel than the ones you’ll find at the grocery store.
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 4 slices large country-style bread
- ¼ cup olive oil, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche or sour cream
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 salt-packed anchovy fillets, rinsed, patted dry
- Watercress leaves with tender stems (for serving)
Cook eggs in a large saucepan of boiling water 8 minutes. Drain eggs and transfer to a bowl of ice water; chill until cold, 8–10 minutes. Peel eggs; set aside.
Prepare a grill for medium heat. Drizzle bread on both sides with ¼ cup oil total and grill, turning once, until toasted and charred in spots, about 2 minutes. (Or cook in a dry skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium-high.) Rub with cut sides of garlic; set aside.
Using your hands, tear eggs in half and place in a medium bowl; add mustard and crème fraîche. Season with salt and pepper, then mash with a fork until mixture is combined but eggs still have some texture.
Spoon egg mixture onto toasts; halve toasts crosswise. Top with anchovy fillets and some watercress. Drizzle with oil and season with more salt and pepper.